Friday, July 27, 2007

Beezer Navel Gazing



Will it never end? (N.B. beezer is my new word for boomer+geezer. I coulda said boozer but out of deference to Clapton's sobriety, I chose not.)

The Chicago Trib recently ran an interview with Clapton, guitarist, devoted supporter of Giorgio Armani and champion of the Chicago blues. I don't mind Clapton as a musician, in fact I own several of his albums. He never lived up to Cream but then neither did Bruce or Baker. Anyway I should take my own advice and enough with the looking inward and backward.
In this interview he bemoans the possible demise of "hand-made music" and complains you can't get vinyl anymore. Eric, do ya get out much, out of the superstar stratosphere?? Hand made music is thriving in countless regional festivals and tiny backwater burgs.Carefully tended vinyl is sold out of basements, all over the internet and in small and medium storefronts in any city I visit anyway.
I'm exasperated with the whole "death of music" hand-wringing and lip quivering. Music is just fine. New artists may have to be content with an artist lifestyle instead of an Armani lifestyle, but just maybe it was the Armani lifestyle that supported the rise of music as industry.
Today's listening pleasure- The Best of Cream (bought for a couple of bucks at Walmart) 4 and a half stars.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a Beezer ain't half bad in my world too.I noticed today that MSN music was streaming EC. He is is out there making good music.

Anonymous said...

Heh, I laughed at your comments re: Clapton and Armani. Mr. C is indeed out of touch. Perhaps if his butler allowed him to read Rolling Stone or, say, High Times, he'd know music is still being "made", by hand, by foot, by just about every body part out there. Clapton is a great musician, a mediocre human being, and a louse of a man. But I totally agree with you, nothing rocks the house more than a good version of Strange Brew!