Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Freedom Road


For me and for my university bound son, the road to freedom is a two lane highway north.

On the first of September there is already a nip in the air that sweeps away the stupor of summer. He is ready for this and I am more ready than I expected to be to let him go. My mantra for motherhood, that the ultimate goal in parenting is an independent child, has somehow done the trick. The anticpated rush of tears and despair never happens. I am truly thrilled for him, deeply proud of his achievements and successes and convinced that he has made wise choices for this next phase of his young life.

For both of us, a new phase of independence lies ahead like an open, sunlit field.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been down the University road twice. It somewhat seems like the first day of kindergarten all over again, only this adventure the school bus does not drop them off each day.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm so happy to hear that you are embracing this new cycle in both your son's life and your life! So many women lose themselves in their kids and it's refreshing and heartening to see that you are celebrating your son's ability to move on into adulthood! Good for you...Now, what are YOU going to be when you grow up? That's what I want to know!