Friday, December 7, 2007

Carols by Candlelight



This is the weekend of the traditional carols concert in my town. My son performed in this event for 13 years, working his way through the apprentice, boys, academy singers and youth choirs. This year he is 600 miles away in the frozen north of BC so I'll be caroling on my own.

I made a delicious spinach dish today. I won't post a photo since it's not the most attractive dish ( no comment please, Mel LOL), but here's the recipe-

Spinach Leek Gratin

One ten ounce package of fresh spinach
1 small leek, white part only
1 cup fine sourdough bread crumbs
3T butter, divided
1 T Dijon mustard with horseradish
1/4 cup light cream
1 cup grated sharp white cheddar
1 tsp plain Dijon
Salt and pepper if you wish

Wilt the spinach in a large pot. Place spinach in a sieve and squeeze out remaining water.
Rinse and chop leek.
In skillet, melt 2T butter, stir in 1 T mustard, then breadcrumbs and heat til golden. Stir in cheese and set aside.
In another pan, saute leek in remaining 1 T butter til tender, then stir in spinach, plain Dijon and cream and cook till thick. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
Turn into a lightly buttered pie plate, sprinkle with crumb mixture and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven about 20 minutes.
An excellent side dish for the carnivores and delicious main dish for all others.

Today's listening pleasure- "The Best of Nina Simone" five stars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You won't be singing by yourself. Join in with me..We Wish You a Merry Christmas..We Wish..I can't hear you LOL